Newark element14 Offers New Avago Industrial Fiber Receivers
Integrated receiver IC reduces power and component count by 80 percent
March 12, 2014 – CHICAGO – Newark element14 is now offering Avago Technologies' new 50MBd – 820nm integrated fiber optic receivers for communication and control networks within power substation, smart grid and industrial automation applications.
The AFBR-24x9xZ product family is designed to provide cost effective and high performance fiber optic communication links with industry-leading EMI resistance. The line uses state-of-the-art technology that has an integrated photodiode with digitalizing IC on the same silicon chip.
Traditional 5MBd optical networks are no longer fast enough for substation automation and smart grid implementation. Higher bandwidth components ensure reliability and safety; therefore equipment manufacturers are looking toward 50MBd links. The new receivers provide the desired 50MBd link speed while integrating external receiver IC functions into the fiber optic receiver, saving one external IC and 18 discrete components.
The series also:
- Is designed to operate with fiber optic transmitters HFBR-14xxZ and HFBR-1712TZ
- Works with link distances of up to 3km on multimode glass fiber cable
- Is directly compatible with popular industry-standard ST and SMA connectors
- Operates from 100kBd up to 50MBd of transmission signal
- Is equipped with RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indication) that indicates the signal strength of the incoming optical signal for diagnostic function
- Has an operating temperature range of -40°C to +85°C
- Is RoHS-compliant and compatible with 10Base-FL standard
This offering is part of Newark's complete line of Avago fiber optic products for networking in an industrial environment.
About Newark element14
Newark element14 is a high-service distributor of technology products and engineering solutions for electronic system design, maintenance and repair. Newark element14 brings together the latest products, services and development software, all connected to an innovative online engineering community where purchasers and engineers can access peers and experts, a wide range of independent technical information and helpful tools. Whether researching a new technology, designing an electronic product, or looking for parts to repair an existing system, Newark element14 is the trusted source to find the answers and parts they need to keep projects on the fast track, right from the start. Newark element14 is the operating business of Premier Farnell plc (LSE:pfl) in North America.